Monday, July 8, 2013

The Banners of Kazak-Graey

The Graey Throng has been under rapid assembly. My first focus has been a test group of dwarves to test color schemes, and then the identifying models of the army. THE BANNERS!  One of the biggest differences to me between the fantasy world and the 40k world is the banners. I love how each unit can have a standard bearer and I wanted to put a lot of mind towards those.

So I haven't fully completed any, but I have finalized the majority of the assembly and just had to show them off. To the bannerdwarves!

This is the BSB to the left, and the banner of my Longbeards to the right. The dwarf BSB is pretty awesome on its own but I spent a lot of time thinking about how to do the other banners. I decided to go with 3d relief banners based on bits from the sprues. Its simple and I think it looks great.
The two Dwarf Warrior block banners. I decided to go with the pointed tip banners for all melee units, the squared off banners will be ranged. The banners are simpler, as the unit is not the more elite such as the elaborate longbeards. I could have done Great Weapon axes because that is how I did my warriors...but shields looked better I think.
The thunderer banner on the left. The original icon was taken from the Battle for Skull Pass thunderer bits. On the right is the more simple GW Quarreler unit banner.
On the left is my new second unit of quarrelers' banner. I couldn't do the same, so I did an unloaded crossbow and made a little bolt quiver. On the right is the miner banner. They have a pretty nice banner all by itself, all I had to do was add the pick and a stick of dynamite.
And ALL TOGETHER now. These are the eye catchers of my throng. Dwarves don't go out with all fancy monsters and machines and stuff, even our cannons are small. The standards are where the focus is. Can't wait to get these all painted up.


No comments:

Post a Comment